Functionality is available in the Pro edition
The DICOM Viewer allows you to create a surface for segmented structures in the Volume
Reconstruction window and in the Multiplanar Reconstruction window.
To set the surface options, click on the arrow on the right side of the Create surface for current
structure button and select the Set surface creation parameters.... The dialog box
shown in Fig. 6.12 will be displayed.
- The smoothness of the surface is defined by the Smoothing pass count parameter.
With this parameter set at zero value, the form of the surface is as close as possible to
the structure. With an increase in the value, the surface roughness disappears.
- The maximum number of polygons is defined by the Max triangles count parameter.
An increase in the number of polygons heightens the accuracy of the surface construction.
If the specified number of polygons is excessive or not sufficient for the construction of the
surface, the DICOM Viewer will use the value from the acceptable range that is closest
to that set by a user.
- The thickness of the shell is defined by the Shell thickness(mm) parameter. If the value
is greater than zero, then the shell has an inner and an outer surface. Both surfaces will
be exported to a file.
- To create the surface only for the largest structure, check the Remove secondary
- If the Use current clipping box is checked, then the surface is built only for that part
of the structure which is inside the cube. If the Clipping box tool is not active, this
parameter is not used.
To apply the settings, click OK. To cancel the settings, click Cancel.
To create a surface, click on the left side of the button.
The transparency of the polygon model corresponds to the transparency of the segmented
structure. If CPU is selected as the rendering device and also on macOS, transparency of polygonal
models is not supported.
Figure 6.12: Surface creation parameters